Sunday 29 April 2012

Irish Newspaper Obituaries

I have started collecting newspaper obituaries on my ancestors of late and I have been delighted with the information that a few of them have contained.

Not only can  you get the immediate family but you can get information on the extended family too. For example it can add "American and English newspapers please copy." Giving the proof that relatives are in those countries too.

I have recently applied for the obituary of a great grandfather from Co. Dublin, a great grandmother from Drogheda, Co. Louth and a sibling to another great grandmother from Co. Meath. These all died in the 1930's and all were born just a few years after the famine.

When you obtain the death cert. of one of your ancestors it is well worth researching to see if an obit. exists in the next publication of the newspaper. Remember most newspapers were published weekly or  bi-weekly.

I'll add an update to this post when the obituaries arrive. Email me! click here

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't have any idea where to look for Irish obituaries. Do you know if the same records you have found for Co. Louth and Meath are also available in the west of Ireland (Clare and Galway)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've replied to this in e mail.

    ReplyDelete